- Connect External Drive To Macbook Pro
How to Connect an External Hard Drive to Macbook Pro?
MacBook Pro is one of the most powerful notebooks that is useful for professionals. It allows you to connect external peripherals like thumb drives, USB drives, and Flash memory cards to it. You can use a Thunderbolt, USB, or connect wirelessly, or FireWire cables to connect the peripherals. Now, let’s see how to connect an external hard drive to Macbook Pro in detail.
Step 1: Connect the Drive to Your MacBook Pro
- Get the cable that came with the drive.
- Using the cable, connect your hard drive to MacBook Pro.
- Now, look for the connected external hard drive on your MacBook Pro’s desktop.
- Usually, the connected drive will be displayed on the desktop with a USB or Thunderbolt icon.
- If the drive icon is not displayed on the desktop, then open the Finder window and look for the connected drive under the Devices section.
- Now, open the drive by double-clicking its icon on the desktop or open it from the Finder window.
Step 2: Format your drive
- Click the menu titled Go on your MacBook’s desktop.
- Select the Utilities option followed by Disk Utility. Now, select your external hard drive under the External heading.
- Click the Erase button.
- Now, the drive formatting process will be initiated.
- If necessary, choose the ExFAT option from the Format drop-down menu.
- Click the Erase button again.
- Once the drive has been formatted, you’ll get a notification message regarding it.
Fixed: External Hard Drive is not recognized by MacBook
- First, check if the cables are connected securely between your external hard drive and MacBook Pro.
- Some external drives need a separate power connection to turn ON. If you’re using the drive that requires power to function, charge it for a while and then connect it to MacBook.
- Restart your MacBook Pro device. In most cases, the restart process will resolve connectivity problems.
- If the cable you’re using for the connection is damaged, then try a different cable. Similarly, try connecting the drive to different ports on your MacBook Pro.
To get remote assistance on how to connect an External Hard Drive to Macbook Pro, contact us.