- Backup iPhone
How to Backup iPhone to External Hard Drive?
In general, iPhone users tend to back up their files to iCloud or iTunes. If you want to backup iPhone to external hard drive, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Before starting the backup, connect your external hard drive to your Mac computer and format the drive.
- Navigate to the Applications folder and click the Utilities icon to open Disk Utility.
- In the Disk Utility window, choose your external hard drive from the left-side panel and click the Erase button available at the top.
- Next, choose the required format for the drive from the drop-down menu.
- Once your hard drive has been erased and formatted, click Done.
- Close the Disk Utility window and open the Go To Fold interface by pressing the Command + Shift + G shortcut keys.
- Type ‘~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/’ in the text field and press the Enter key.
- Locate the folder (iPhoneBackup) in which your iPhone data is stored and copy the folder.
- Open the external hard drive folder and paste the copied data. The copying time may vary depending on your backup size.
- Now, your iPhone data will be backed up to the external hard drive. Although backup is successful, you will have to do this every time a backup is created.
- To avoid this situation, you can tell iTunes to back up to the hard drive in the future.
- Open the Terminal app and type the ‘ln -s /Volumes/ExternalHD/iPhoneBackup/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup’ command. Press the Enter key to execute the command.
- Close the Terminal window and check if the backup works well.
- If the command makes iTunes move the backup files to the hard drive in the future, you can delete the old backup files on your Mac.
Now you have seen how to backup iPhone to external hard drive