- Backup Mac on External Drive
How to Backup Mac to an External Hard Drive?
In this article, you’ll learn how to backup Mac to an external hard drive. It is quite simple to back up Mac using Time Machine, the built-in backup utility on Mac devices. It will automatically back up all your files, apps, images, documents, music, and everything including system files.
How to create a Time Machine backup?
To back up your device to the hard drive using Time Machine, connect the drive to your Mac and choose it as your backup disk. Time Machine will automatically make weekly backups, daily backups, and hourly backups. Now, follow the steps to create a Time Machine backup.
- Initially, connect your external hard drive to your Mac computer using a compatible USB cable.
- When the external drive is directly connected to the Mac computer, it will ask whether to make it as a drive to back up with Time Machine. Choose Encrypt Backup Disk. Then click on Use as Backup Disk.
- If the Time Machine utility did not prompt anything after connecting your drive to the Mac, then use these steps to manually add the hard drive as the backup disk.
- Locate the Time Machine menu available in the Menu bar. Go to Time Machine preferences. Otherwise, click on Apple -> System Preferences -> Time Machine.
- Click on Select Backup Disk.
- Choose the external drive from the available list. Then click on Encrypt backups and select Use Disk.
- Now, all the data on your Mac will be backed up to the external hard drive.
For assistance on how to backup Mac to an external hard drive, feel free to contact us by clicking the Call button available on this page.
We are providing a Simple Installation Help Guidelines for Hardware & Software Devices such as Smart Phones, Desktops, Routers, Printers, Antivirus, etc from Our Tech Experts.