- Downgrade Mac OS Catalina
How to Downgrade macOS Catalina?
Apple allows you to downgrade macOS 10.15 to an earlier version easily. To Downgrade macOS Catalina to an older version, follow the methods given here:
Method 1-Use Recovery
Utilize this method if you have not bought a new Mac with the latest macOS version. In case you have a system with macOS 10.14 or an older version installed, you can make use of the macOS Recovery tool. You will need a couple of things for the downgrading process:
- A fast internet connection.
- A backup before you begin the downgrade because it will erase your startup disk.
Make use of the following instructions for the downgrade:
- First, shut down your Mac system.
- Now, power on your system.
- Immediately, hold the Shift+Option+Command+R keys. Since macOS recovery is loading, the startup might take longer.
- The macOS Utilities screen will now start loading. Choose the Reinstall macOS option and click the Continue button.
- Select a startup disk and then click the Install button.
- Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- When you are done with the installation process, restore the files that you need from the backup.
Method 2-Make Use of the Time Machine
Many people use Time Machine for restoring the old macOS. This method assumes that you have a backup on your Time Machine.
- First, plug the Time Machine disk into your Mac system.
- Next, restart your system.
- Hold the Cmd+R keys during startup in order to enter the macOS recovery mode.
- Please wait until the macOS Utilities screen loads up.
- Select Restore from Time Machine Backup. Click the Continue button.
- On the screen that is displayed next, click the Continue Again button.
- Choose the Restore Source option, which is the backup drive you plugged into your system.
- Choose the backup you want to use. Your Time Machine will have different versions of backups, so you have to select the one that you want.
- To complete the installation, execute the remaining on-screen instructions.
Method 3-Use the macOS Installer
- Downgrade macOS Catalina using Installer. This method might be tricky because it is not supported after the release of Mojave.
- In case you have a Mac device with an older version than Mojave, you can still download the macOS Installer.
- After downloading the macOS Installer, create a bootable USB drive from the installer file.
- You can use the USB drive any time you want. An internet connection is not necessary.