- Open WD Passport External Drive
How To Open Wd External Hard Drive Passport?
The WD My Passport external hard drives are somewhat difficult to open. You might have to use a screwdriver or your fingernails to pry open the outer casing of the hard drive. In this article, we shall explore the methods to open both the old and the new models for how to open WD external hard drive
Opening the Old-Style WD My Passport external hard drive
- How to open WD external hard drive? The outside casing wraps around the hard drive. You can use a screwdriver or your fingernails to pry open the outside casing.
- The idea is to remove the white piece that is at the center. This centerpiece is actually your external hard drive.
- If you are making use of your fingernails, then you can easily pry open the casing underneath the centerpiece.
- Once you have wedged open the outer casing below the white centerpiece, use some material like a piece of paper to keep the casing open and prevent it from shutting back. You just have to wedge the piece of paper between the outer casing and the white centerpiece above it.
- Next, using your fingernails, try to pry open the casing on the other side of the hard drive.
- Once you have the outer casing completely off, you will have the WD My Passport hard drive in your hands.
- At one of the corners of the drive, you will find a special rubber bumper. This is where the light comes through.
Continue the how to open WD external hard drive steps to complete process easily.
- You will find a pin-hole on the outer casing through which the light shines. You will also see a ridge on which your drive sits. You can find four rubber bumpers at the four corners of the drive.
- Remove the white plastic outer cover from the hard drive so that all the four rubber bumpers just fall off.
- After the rubber bumpers fall off, put back the white plastic outer cover again. Make sure that the ridges on the bumper are in the correct locations.
- Also, ensure that the white plastic outer cover wraps around the external hard drive and slides into its place.
- Finally, place the external drive inside the outer casing, which you removed previously from both sides of the hard drive.
- Confirm that the outside casing wraps around the hard drive and looks exactly like before (before you pried it open with your fingernails).
- You have now learned how to open your WD external hard drive Passport (old style).
- Let us see how to open WD external hard drive.
Opening the New-Style WD My Passport external hard drive
- This one is more challenging than the old-style drive. You definitely have to use the screwdriver to open this drive.
- The bottom panel comes off easily. You can use your screwdriver and wedge it open. This task has to be done very carefully because if you accidentally slide the screwdriver across the circuit board, the drive will get ruined.
- One alternative way is to start from the place where the connector is located. Then, you can go around to the other side.
- How to Open WD External Hard Drive? This task is safer because you will only be opening the case near the aluminum chunk and it is not a much-exposed circuit board.
- Just as in the old-style WD My Passport drive, you will find the rubber bumpers in the four corners. These bumpers will be slipped into the case.
- Putting the hard drive back into the case is very easy. You will find snaps all around the drive. The one spot that does not have a snap will go near the connector.
- You have now learned how to open WD external hard drive and have seen the procedures for both the old and the new style drives.