- WD MY PASSPORT FOR MAC NOT SHOWING UP
WD MY PASSPORT FOR MAC NOT SHOWING UP
The WD My Passport external hard drive is very popular in the market and gives a tough time for its competitors. WD My Passport hard drives are fully compatible with most of the Operating Systems. Because of the convenience that the hard drive provides to the end-user, most of us like to store our important data on it. However, malfunctioning is something that no one can avoid, and errors can occur now and then. You can follow the below-given methods to troubleshoot the issues happening on your WD My Passport external hard drive.
Steps to remove the jammed paper:
It is not a new problem that external hard drives stop working or suddenly fail to show up on your Mac. But you can perform some troubleshooting steps to get rid of the problem. These are the most common reasons for the WD hard drive not showing up on your Mac computer.
- Insufficient power supply.
- Lack of drive letters or outdated drivers.
- File system issues.
- Partition problems.
- Dead USB port or faulty USB connector.
- External hard drive corruption.
- Physical damage to the hard drive.
- Problem with computer’s USB ports.
- Hidden external drive.
- Improper formatting of the external hard drive.
TRY A NEW USB PORT:
- If your Mac has multiple USB ports, then try connecting the WD My Passport external drive to another port.
- Make sure that the USB ports are functioning properly on your Mac.
- Sometimes due to no usage, USB ports may not function properly.
- If your WD My Passport is recognized by connecting to another USB port, it means that the troubleshooting steps are over. If not, follow the below-given methods.
TRY A NEW USB CABLE:
- The second troubleshooting step one needs to look for is – checking the USB cable.
- If the USB cable is damaged on any side, this may lead to the WD My Passport external hard drive malfunction.
- Try using a new USB cable, and if the hard drive is working as before, this means that the fault is with the USB cable and not with the WD My Passport drive.
MANUALLY MOUNT WD MY PASSPORT IN DISK UTILITY:
In a few scenarios, it is noticed that the Mac computer does not detect the WD My Passport hard drive. Follow the below steps to manually mount the hard drive.
- Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- Click Show All Devices.
- Select your WD My Passport hard drive from the left sidebar and click on the Mount button.
CHANGE PREFERENCE SETTINGS:
If you haven’t allowed your Mac to access the drive in the preference settings, that may lead to the “WD My Passport not showing up on Mac” issue. To edit the settings, follow the steps given below.
- Launch the Finder window.
- Go to Preferences and select General.
- Select External disks from the Show these items on the desktop option.
- Now, allow the Mac to access the WD My Passport hard drive.
CHECK THE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE:
- Checking the antivirus software is one of the main troubleshooting methods.
- Some malware or virus attacks can give rise to malfunctioning of the WD My Passport external hard drive.
- Run a complete system scan on your Mac.
- If you find any malware on your computer, fix the same as soon as possible.
FORMAT THE DRIVE:
Once the hard drive is showing up, try to format it.
- On your macOS Dock, select Finder.
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
- Select the Disk Utility application.
- In the Disk Utility window, choose the WD My Passport hard drive icon from the sidebar.
- Next, click the Erase tab.
- From the Erase dialog box, select the Volume Format option.
- Choose APFS or MS-DOS, or exFAT.
- Now the macOS erases the entire data on the drive and reformats it to APFS, FAT32, or exFAT format.
- Wait patiently until the formatting process gets completed.
Note: The time duration totally depends on the size of data stored on your WD My Passport hard drive.
- When the formatting is over, eject the drive before pulling out the USB cable.
- Now, you can start using the WD My Passport hard drive as a new device on your Mac system.
So, these are some of the finest solutions you can follow to get rid of the “WD My Passport not showing up on your Mac computer” problem. For further knowledge and queries, call our technicians.