What is antivirus?
Antivirus software is a program which scans and deletes computer viruses and other malicious software. It plays an important role in computer security strategy. Every web page, file, software applications on your device are scanned, and the malware in it is eliminated.
With the increasing rise in cyber threats, installing an antivirus program is a necessity these days. To stay safe, it is recommended to update the software frequently. Pick the right security solution for your specific needs.
How antivirus works?
Antivirus programs have databases of virus signatures stored in them. The executable files on your devices are cross-checked for these default signatures. When a match is found, the program is blocked. The antivirus program manufacturers update the program with definition files in order to resist the new viruses that pop up every day. Hence, the importance of updating the antivirus software must be stressed.
Why antivirus important?
- The primary goal is to detect viruses, spyware, malware, and other threats. Aside from detection, such threats are also removed.
- Anybody with the intention of intruding the device is stopped. This way, infecting or stealing of data is prevented.
- Your web activities are controlled, limiting any unauthorized access.
- External drivers used on the device are automatically scanned, and threats in them are removed.
- Pop-up ads and spam websites are blocked, protecting your device data from being stolen.
Best Antivirus for PC
The simple installation process, coupled with a full-featured package, can be the reason for its 500 million users. The additional features are fancy with a password manager, frequent updates, and integrated VPN.
Norton Antivirus Plus
Norton Antivirus has been around for ages. The reputation comes with its customization options enabling you to personalize the experience. This program is super vigilant and runs continuously in the background.
F-Secure Antivirus Safe
For complete PC protection, opt for the F-Secure Antivirus program. The tool is family-focused with banking protection and online shopping security. You can remotely lock a mobile device registered to it if lost.
The cost of this software program is affordable for some very beneficial features. Its prime focus is malware prevention and detection. Through web filtering, malicious websites are blocked.
Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security
Its expertise in spam and ransomware is widely known. It is also easy to use and have scored high in testing suites. It is also involved in Email scan safeguarding.
Best Antivirus for Android
Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
It is a free app with in-app premium feature purchases. The apps are manually scanned and freed of viruses, malware, ad theft. It can even block spam calls.
Avast Mobile Security
The software scans for any infected apps, spyware, and viruses. The advanced features included are SIM security, camera trap, etc. Also, a novel feature integrated is viewing the time spent on each app.
It can protect the Android device from almost all threats. This antivirus app comes at super-fast scanning ability. The device’s battery is not drained at the app’s cost. As and when the apps are installed, they are scanned.
Norton Security & Antivirus
Its stand-alone apps, such as the app locker and password manager, are huge successes among Android users. The malware detection rate is 100%. With this app installed on your phone, your device will never slow down.
McAfee Mobile Security & Lock
McAfee is a notable antivirus app since many advanced features such as the security lock, W-Fi security, and battery optimizer are available in the free version itself. One interesting mention about this app is that it clicks photographs of intruders.
Antivirus for iOS
Avast Security & Photo Vault
Avast continues to lead the industry of antivirus software. This antivirus app is available for free and in Pro versions for iOS device. Download this app from the Apple App Store. It is known for its stable and efficient functioning.
Mobile Security & Wi-Fi Scan by McAfee
Mobile Security by McAfee sends automatic updates about security bugs on your iOS device. This app can be downloaded from iTunes for free. It can easily track the location of your phone if it is lost.
Trend Micro Mobile Security
This app has several features involved to protect the device. It also supports cloud storage. With an encrypted PIN, you can save all the other passwords safely.
LogDog – Mobile Security
The security protocols integrated into this app keep hackers and frauds at bay. Any malicious presence is automatically reported and cleared. In an effort to improve security, the app releases regular updates.
While browsing, this app provides you with safe browsing functionalities. It can block unwanted calls, delete harmful apps, and recover data from the device in case of unwanted activity.
How to install antivirus software
- If you have bought the antivirus software on a CD, insert into the computer’s disc drive.
- Locate the downloaded antivirus software file if you have downloaded the program from the internet.
- Extract the files from the zip file.
- Search for a .exe (setup or install) file within the main file.
- Double-click the executable file and run it.
- A guide window opens to help you through the installation process.
- Enter the PIN provided if the program has been bought.
- Choose the features of the program that you wish to include to your computer.
- It is suggested to decline the installation of any other programs that might be prompted during this process.
- Agree to save the program icon on the desktop.
- Exit the installation window and find the icon on the desktop.
- If you have used the CD, don’t forget to remove it once done.
- Update the software immediately after installation.
How to turn on Firewall on Windows
- Start your Windows computer and open the Control Panel.
- Hit System and Security > Windows Firewall.
- Find the option Turn Windows Firewall On in the left navigation pane.
- Select Turn On Windows Firewall and click OK.
How to turn on Firewall on Mac
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Click Security & Privacy > Firewall.
- Tap the lock in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Key in the administrator username and password.
- Enable the Firewall by clicking the Turn On Firewall option.
- Customize the Firewall configuration within the Advanced tab.
How to turn on Firewall on Ubuntu
The UFW firewall is the default software that comes with the Ubuntu Linux Distribution.
- Open the terminal window by pressing the keys Ctrl+Alt+T.
- Type the command sudo ufw enable
- Enter the administrator password.
- Find the status of the ufw command with: sudo ufw status.
How to turn off Firewall on Windows
- Open Control Panel > System and Security on the Windows computer.
- Navigate to Windows Defender Firewall. Click it.
- Find the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option and select it.
- Click at the bubble in front of the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall option.
- Save the changes made by clicking OK.
How to turn off Firewall on Mac
- Get to know the administrator password before beginning.
- Head to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
- Click Firewall and then the lock icon located at the bottom left corner of the window.
- Key in the administrator password now.
- Select Turn Off Firewall.
How to turn off Firewall on Ubuntu
- Open the terminal window by pressing the keys Ctrl, Alt, and T together.
- Execute the command: sudo ufw disable.
- View the status of the ufw command with: sudo ufw status.