What is a Computer System?
Computers have influenced the world ever since their discovery. The guide below is intended to introduce What is a Computer System and their applications. Equip yourself with computer knowledge. This illustrious and guided introduction to computer gives you a basic understanding of computers.
Generation of Computers
- First Generation: Vacuum Tubes
- Second Generation: Transistors
- Third Generation: Integrated Circuits
- Fourth Generation: Microprocessors
- Fifth Generation: Artificial Intelligence
Types of Computer System
Computers are classified according to their performance, power, and size as follows.
- Supercomputers – They execute several programs in a fraction of second at a very high pace. Their applications are required in high-end places like scientific research centers.
- Mainframe Computers – Support thousands of users at the same time. Hence, employed in bulk data processing, census, and consumer statistics.
- Minicomputers – Multiprocessing system with the ability to supporting 4 – 200 users. With time, they have diminished and fused with servers.
- Microcomputer – Also called Personal Computer. Handled by only one person at a time. Processing data is its primary operation.
How to Set Up your New Computer?
Quick Steps for First-Time Computer Setup
- Offload the computer and its accessories.
- Keep the CPU in a well-ventilated area close to the computer.
- Plug the monitor into a power outlet and the rear of the CPU.
- The keyboard and mouse connections with the monitor have to be made via USB cables.
- Match the color code on the plugs when inserting the speaker into the computer.
- Flip the switch on the CPU after connecting it into a power outlet.
- Press the Power button on the monitor and follow the setup instructions on the screen.
- Install a browser and download the necessary software.
- The computer is ready to use now.
How to Change your Browser Homepage?
Changing the home page is almost a similar process in all browsers. The processes for a few browsers have been described below.
How to Set Homepage on Edge Browser
- Double-click the Microsoft Edge icon on your desktop.
- Find the More icon (…) on the screen’s top right corner.
- Tap it and pick Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select A specific page under the Open Microsoft Edge with section.
- Key in the website address you want on the browser’s home page and tap the Save icon.
How to Set Homepage on Internet Explorer?
- Open the Internet Explorer browser on your computer.
- Find and click the Tools option ( Gear icon) in the upper-right corner.
- Select Internet Options > General tab.
- Type the preferred website’s URL.
- Hit Apply > OK. Click the Home icon and see if the home page has been changed.
How to Set Homepage on Mozilla Firefox?
- Find the Menu (Ξ) button in the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Head to Options > General Tab in the Home page section.
- Input the URL of the web page to be set on the Home page.
- Retract to the Home page and check if it has been set.
How to Set Homepage on Safari?
- Visit the Safari browser on your computer.
- Click the Safari option in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- After clicking the drop-down menu, pick Preferences.
- Head to Home page > General and input the web page URL.
- Tap the Home icon and you are directed to the changed home page.
How to Set Homepage on Opera Mini?
- Within the Opera browser, tap the Opera icon.
- A drop-down menu appears. Pick Settings from it.
- Choose Basic > On startup > Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Select Set pages and input the website’s URL.
- Highlight the site and tap OK.
How to Set Homepage on Netscape?
- Click the Radio button within the Options menu.
- Type the URL of the preferred website.
- Apply the changed settings.
- Tick the box against the Blank page if a blank home page is what you want.
- The set home web page appears on the home page every time you open a new window in the browser.
How to Set Homepage on Google Chrome?
- On opening the Chrome browser, you can see a vertical ellipsis.
- Tap this Menu button and pick Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Open a specific page or a set of pages option within the On startup section.
- Choose Set pages and type in the preferred web page’s address.
- Select the site and press OK.
How to make Google my Homepage?
- Click Settings > System > Default apps > Microsoft Edge.
- Pick the new browser (Google Chrome) from the list displayed.
- Find Chrome enlisted under the Web Browser section.
How to Connect a Peripheral Device to a Computer?
The computer is connected to many different peripheral devices.
- Input devices – Mouse & Keyboard
- Output devices – Monitor & printer
- Storage devices – Hard drive or pen drive
How to Do a Dual Monitor Setup?
Check if your laptop/desktop supports dual monitor setup. Almost all modern laptops and computers support this setup.
- Plug both ends of the video cable into the second monitor and the computer’s rear.
- Power up the second monitor by plugging it into an electrical socket.
- Turn on the second monitor and prepare it to receive the signal from your computer’s main monitor.
- Get into the Settings option on your Windows computer.
- Click System > Display > Multiple displays.
- Pick a Display option from the drop-down menu.
- Select Apply > Keep changes.
How to Use Remote Desktop Connection?
Remote Desktop Connection is a Microsoft service that allows a local computer to control a remote PC over a network. It requires the enabling of the Remote Desktop Service (RDS)
Find your PC’s IP address before you begin the process.
- Open the Command prompt, type cmd -> type ipconfig, and hit Enter.
- The IPv4 is the IP address of the computer.
- In case of a home network, search whtismyipaddress in your computer browser.
Accessing Remote Desktop Services
- Head to File explore > This PC. Right-click it.
- Now, move to System Properties > Remote tab > Allow remote connection to this computer.
- Uncheck the box against the option Only allow connection computer running remote desktop with Network level Authentication.
- On configuring all the settings, click Apply > OK.
- Click open Start > remote desktop > remote desktop connection.
- Key in the IP address of the computer and click Connect.
- Upon entering the required credentials, you will be able to connect to the other PC.
How to Do a System Backup?
- Select “Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore”.
- “Choose” Set up backup and follow the instructions in the Wizard.
- Click “Backup now or schedule backup”.
What are the Common Problems of Computer?
Computer problems might arise due to software or hardware errors.
Common Hardware Problems:
- Computer is slow.
- Computer keeps restarting.
- Computer accessories might not work properly.
- App command not working.
- Corrupt files.
- Unusual noises and sudden shut off.
Common Software Problems:
- Pop up ads
- Attachments won’t open.
- Improper interpretation of peripheral commands.
In this page we provided detailed information about Computer Such as, What is a Computer System, Types of Computer, Generations of Computer, How to Set Up and Secure a New Computer.